pinterest pin it

Sunday, January 2, 2011

El Anatsui's ROM Installation

Fragment of "Straying Continents", 2010

Started off the New Year with a visit to the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM). Was blown away by Anatsui's art. First went to see the 4th floor exhibit "When I last Wrote to You about Africa". It was a retrospective of Africa's contemporary artist's forty years of painting, sculpture, woodwork and metal multi-element compositions. No photos allowed... that's okay.... I took mental snapshots.

I really liked the compositions of aluminum and copper wire. They started with a discarded bag of liquor bottle caps. It's amazing how many different ways a cap can be cut, folded, punched and twisted! This alone was a lesson in playing and trying out all kinds of ways to manipulate whatever your medium may be!

Close-up of metal liquor bottle caps

Lucky for me, the ROM commissioned a wall installation called "Straying Continents", 2010. It's installed on entry wall of the 3rd floor ROM Crystal. Thank goodness I had my iPhone to photograph sections of an incredible installation.

Fragment of "Straying Continents" by El Anatsui, ROM, 2010

I found Anatsui's work fresh and inspirational. He plays with color, patterns, textures, negative space, layering. Reminded me of beadwork on a large scale.

Fragment of "Straying Continents", 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment