pinterest pin it

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Catch BEADWORK, Oct/Nov 2009 on the newstand


It's tricky estimating the exact moment your friendly merchant will get their shipment of this month's BEADWORK. A safer bet may be to order one directly from Interweave Press.

This one's a keeper if you're interested in reading about the different types of beading in a particular corner of the world. Based on my newest Powerpoint "Contemporary Beadwork in Ukraine", read Melaina Juntti's "A Conversation Ukrainian-Style Beadwork with Maria Rypan". (pgs. 60-62) That's Editor Melinda Barta and myself holding the "hot off the press" issue at Bead Fest, PA.


The interview is followed by my project "Scythian Gold", a twist on a contemporary Ukrainian "gerdan". It's a V-shaped netted collar with an embellished diamond-shaped opening. The project's name relates to one of the original inhabitants of Ukraine, the Scythians, and draws inspiration from troves of ancient gold jewelry excavated in the country's royal burial mounds. (pgs. 63-65). If you'd like the novel beads I used, or a full kit with my illustrated instructions and all beads, drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment